Saturday, September 17, 2011

It’s sorta sad…

When the growing season comes to an end. Last night we picked the last of everything and found out I just missed 4 cubes and 5 ears of corn and maybe a 1/2 bucket of tomatoes so not bad. I think I’ve put up more then I ever had for this coming year and am very happy with that since my income just isn’t what it ever was even at the lowest point. We’ll survive. Anyways, here’s my garden, I am going to miss it.

 0916111827a 0916111909a

0916111911a

I do have sunflowers left. They aren’t ready to harvest yet. This one is one of the biggest ones. It’s about 15’ tall and the head is the size of a turkey platter. It’s huge!!!

0916111921a

I’m off garage saling with my daddy and daycare girls. I’m always on the look out for a good deal. I have yet shared last week’s with you. I have to too because the two items were perfect for us and only .50. Maybe I can get some pictures this weekend.

Take care my friends and have an awesome weekend. Relax, rejuvenate and enjoy. Blessings to you all!!

5 comments:

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

My mom was big on growing her fruits/veggies in the little bit of ground she had in Miami (after 12 years of no land to work with in the Bronx, NY). She delighted in it. And, hey, fresh fruit or veggies off their vine/tree is great. She kept chickens, too, and sometimes fattened up a piglet for roasting. She was a country girl at heart. A mountain girl.

I have none of those skills, and it's a shame. Maybe in my retirement, I'll nurture a plot of land and see what I can grow organically.

I admire self-sufficiency like yours. Muah, babe.

Debsdailylife said...

How do you harvest your sunflowers? I love sunflower seeds in my salads!! Have a beautiful weekend!

"KT" said...

That's so incredible, and the sunflower is so pretty as well as soon to be delicious, haha. I keep telling myself I'll try a teeny tiny garden sometime, it seems like very hard work but nourishing in more ways than just eating it too. :) Good luck at the sales, sounds fun!

Empty Nester said...

It is kind of sad, isn't it? Especially when you live up there and are already having 20 degree weather. LOL

I love sunflowers! I can't believe how big that one is! Amazing!

Hope all is going well!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have your green thumb. Last year we thought the snails were cute, this year we know better.
While you head into winter, Florida gets bearable and we'll try another garden. Wish us luck (or we're coming to raid your pantry!)