Friday, September 16, 2011

Grape syrup…

Well yesterdays batch of grape jam didn’t set. So I came up with an idea, for Christmas gifts I’ll be giving grape syrup, homemade pancake mix and homemade butter. Now I did redo the batch in the plastic and today that’s setting up good. According to mama I just didn’t let it cook long enough. So I have both jam and syrup. I’m happy. It’ll work out.

I finished another 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes. Another 7 quarts and also a meal. I’m in the process of making a hot dish with our corn, beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, beef and brown noodles. It’ll be this weekends dinner. And for mama and daddy.I don’t cook on Sundays. It’s my day off. I cook 3 meals a day 6 days a week plus snacks so Sunday if I haven’t made something ahead the guys are on their own. Jim and I go out for our breakfast time together on Sunday and then go shopping and then spend the afternoon together as a family but cooking isn’t what I do. Sometimes Jim makes BLT’s or omelets and sometimes Mike makes spaghetti or mac and cheese. It works for me and it teaches the guys they can take care of themselves if I want to be off and running in the evenings.

Joss and I are about ready to head out the door to do our Friday visiting with great grandma. We are also going to pick some more apples for eating and baking. No more sauces, I think 25 quarts and a few frozen bags is enough. I made apple crisp for the store yesterday (I cook for my husband’s employee’s once or twice a week) and a small pan for Mike. They love it, I hate it so it’s a safe thing to make.

So I hope that all is well with you all. It was 20* when I got up at 5 this morning and it’s now 32* so it’s climbing. This weekend is suppose to be wonderful so it’ll be time to mow the lawn and drain the pump we use for watering. We have a pond that is free flowing so it’s the perfect source for watering the gardens and filling the kids pool and so much more. But it’s that time of year we don’t need to water anymore and we know that soon it’ll stay in the frozen temps so time to just drain and put the hoses away. I know we have tons of warm weather still coming but with the plants dead it’s much nicer doing the winterizing in the warmth then waiting for the cold which you all know I’m not impressed with.

Take care my friends and have a blessed day.

3 comments:

Flying high in the sky.... said...

nice post.. take care my friend..

"KT" said...

What a lovely Christmas idea! Hope you have a great visit with your great grandma. :)

Of One Heart said...

"I made apple crisp for the store yesterday... They love it, I hate it so it’s a safe thing to make."

You're hilarious!!!!