Monday, September 12, 2011

Green Tomato bar and green tomato bread recipe

I’ve been asked a few times for these recipes so here they are. ENJOY!!

The Green Tomato Bars were a huge hit and I almost lost taking any pictures to share with you. I have just one picture, the last bite in the pan but it does give you an idea what it looks like and you can guess how it tasted.

Mid September 058

The recipe is:

4 cups green tomatoes chopped finely and then set in a strainer to drain for a while

2 cups brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar this time and it had just a little molasses taste)

2 TLB Lemon Juice

1 tsp lemon extract (I didn’t have this so used real vanilla)

3/4 cup soft butter (again I didn’t have just butter so used 1/2 cup butter, the rest cheap-o tub-o-butter)

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

3 cups oatmeal

Combine the tomatoes, 1 cup brown sugar and lemon juice in sauce pan and simmer 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in extract.

Cream butter, rest of sugar. Add rest of ingredients and mix into a crumble.

Layer crumble on bottom, press down, add tomato mixture then top with last of crumble.

This makes a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350* for 35 minutes. I used a dark pan so of course the sides got a  bit darker but not burnt flavor just dark.

ENJOY!!! The kids loved it, my uncle said it tastes like apple crisp, my daddy loved it and said a bit like date bars. Jim said apple crisp but missing the whip cream (diet means no whip cream in this house), Mike wasn’t sure but said he liked it and yes I can make it again so that’s that.

********************************************************************************************

I decided not to rewrite this recipe. I love having it in my grandma’s handwriting so I took a picture of it for you. You can click on it, get it bigger and just print it out if you’d like. I did change it just a bit and the second picture shows my changes. I tried to make it a bit healthier.

Mid September 062

Mid September 075

My changes….

Mid September 064 Mid September 071

I also have my own eggs and I loved that the egg was a double yoke.

Mid September 060 Mid September 066

Mid September 073

And the bread……….

Mid September 078

Can you smell it? I wish we had smell-o-blogs. I think you’d just have to bake some today.

So there you have it. What to do with green tomatoes….YUMMMYYY!!! No wasting here at the Riley household.

Take care and have a blessed evening.

5 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Thank you for posting these! Mother is staying with us while she recovers from her gall bladder surgery and she hasn't had an appetite. She says the bars actually sound good to her so I'm going to make them!

Mrs. Bradley said...

Looks so yummy. I wished you lived closer. I would come and beg 4 a bar.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I agree, handwritten recipes from grandma are priceless! They sound great! I've never had such a bar with tomatoes.

I've been drooling over this tomato pie recipe! I can't bring myself to make it as I know I would eat the whole thing. Maybe you'd like it! http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/2011/09/tomato-cheddar-and-bacon-pie.html

Anonymous said...

Dang that bread looks crazy good!

lv2 said...

I can smell the bread.....will have to wait, not in my food plan....ditto the bars but I will save them as I like green tomatoes. Love old handwritten recipes...too bad my gram kept them in her head.....most of them are lost.